[rabbitmq-discuss] Low message publish throughput

Cameron Harris cameron at cameronharris.org
Wed Jan 26 12:27:01 GMT 2011

Hi Emile,

When I removed the flush, I added an alternate code path so that flushing
would only be disabled when called via BasicPublish, and that initiation
would still explicitly flush. I initially just commented out the flush, but
as you suggested, the connection initiation just failed due to a timeout.
Unfortunatey, the problem with just hacking out publish flushing is that
sometimes messages will just sit there forever until something forces them
out, which could clearly cause a deadlock if your systems ended up waiting
on each other. It also caused problems when closing the connection to the
broker. I'm guessing that all publish messages need to have been flushed
before the library tries to do something else (e.g. a TxCommit or other
control messages)? Plus, manually hacking up the RabbitMQ library isn't
really a path I want to go down, since it'll make upgrading it far more
difficult.

I just commented out the line where it sets socket nodelay, and it increased
publish to about 9-10k messages per second on the Win7 system, which is a
nice improvement. Is there anywhere I can configure this with the standard
client library, rather than building my own with it hacked out? The Java
client had a way of overriding the socket factory function.

I think the throughput is still being held back significantly by the
explicit flushing. It'd still be nice if we could not flush after every
publish or manually take control over when publish flushes occur while still
maintaining stability of the library/connection. Are there any plans
regarding the flushing behavior, or is Rabbit's primary focus going to be
strictly low latency over high throughput?

Thanks for your help,
Cameron Harris