[rabbitmq-discuss] Erlang crashes trying to allocate 583848200 bytes of memory

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Tue Jan 25 10:44:38 GMT 2011

Dom,

Dom54 wrote:
> To our understanding the RabbitMQ broker (and its supporting
> Erlang environment) keeps to be delivered messages in memory; if the
> consumer is not fast enough the Erlang memory footprint grows till the
> broker crash.

The rabbit code does not hold on to messages in memory when it has
delivered them to consumers and it is under memory pressure.

But we do rely on the underlying erlang network stack and O/S to tell us
when it can't send messages to the consumers. Rather than, say, blindly
buffering them. It's possible that therein lies the problem on Windows.

Btw, when you tweaked the vm_memory_high_watermark settings, did you
check that they were actually taking effect? There is a message near the
beginning of the rabbit log file indicating how much memory it is trying
to limit itself to.

Regards,

Matthias.