[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ Test case - Possible Memory Leak problem

Jerry Kuch jerryk at vmware.com
Mon Jan 24 21:30:49 GMT 2011

Hi, Cristoforo...

> I've fallowed your instructions and configured my RabbitMQ server
> under windows to use different configuration setup:
>
> 1) [{rabbit, [{vm_memory_high_watermark, 0.80}]}].
> 2) [{rabbit, [{vm_memory_high_watermark, 0.40}]}].
> 3) [{rabbit, [{vm_memory_high_watermark, 0.25}]}].
> 4) [{rabbit, [{vm_memory_high_watermark, 0.20}]}].
> 5) [{rabbit, [{vm_memory_high_watermark, 0.10}]}].

A good set of values to try...  I assume you were able to confirm in
your Rabbit log at startup that the changed watermark value was being
reflected?  The messages announcing the broker's configured memory
limit should look roughly like...

=INFO REPORT==== 24-Jan-2011::13:16:22 ===
Memory limit set to 2779MB.

...and you should see this value dropping as you decrease the
watermark setting in the manner you describe.  I ask only because
we've had a couple of cases (they seem a bit more common on Windows
for some reason), where the setting was changed incorrectly and didn't
get picked up by the broker at startup, and want to make sure you
didn't encounter that pitfall, and are in fact trying out the broker
with different watermark values.

> Every time I've started RabbiitMQ server with one of the previous
> configuration and then started my Test application but every time the
> RabbitMQ server crashed down after a few minutes.I don't sincerly find
> any problem in my application's code and, as I've stated in previous
> e-mail the test is very simple. Anyway I've attached my project and
> hope someone can test my application under different machine then
> window because for the moment I'm unable to operate this kind of
> test. Hope to have a response. Thanks, best regards

I just tried running it on Mac OS X and it was able to run to
completion.  I did notice that as it ran Unix 'top' showed the RPRVT
value for the Erlang BEAM process in which the broker was running
bouncing steadily around 2GB, a value that could be strenuous on a
32-bit Windows system where only 2GB of user space are available to a
single process, assuming the same sort of memory loading occurs there.

I expect I'll be able to give it a try on a Windows system later today
once I put one together with Maven, a JVM, etc. to run your stress
test.

> The attached file is a MAVEN project (platform independent) which
> produces as output an executable project.

Thanks for providing such a clean, well packaged and easy to run repro
case.  This is always helpful...  I'll mail the list once I've had a
chance to exercise it under Windows myself...

Best regards,
Jerry