[rabbitmq-discuss] Management plugin issues

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Wed Jan 19 11:54:11 GMT 2011

On 18/01/11 23:20, Mark J. Reed wrote:
> I'm having a couple problems with the management plugin on
> 2.2.0/Erlang 13B/Ubuntu 10.04.
>
> First, I have several independent rabbitmq clusters, but they all seem
> to wind up reporting back to the same stats database.  I assume this
> is some Erlang network service advertising feature, but I'd much
> rather have each cluster use its own separate stats db.  How can I
> force that?

Gosh, that's quite unexpected (and almost certainly the source of your
second problem). How are these clusters set up? Do nodes from any two
clusters end up on the same machine?

> Second, it keeps dying.  That is, the nodes are running, but the
> statistics database goes down, and I have to restart the node that
> contains it to get the management API back.  I'm seeing messages like
> this in the log:

Unfortunately there's a bug in released versions of the management
plugin that can cause the stats database to die if it sees details from
a queue it can't find in Mnesia (which would certainly happen in your case).

This is fixed on default, and if you can build from source (either
default of *everything*, or tag rabbitmq_v2_2_0 of rabbitmq-management
with the following patch applied)

http://hg.rabbitmq.com/rabbitmq-management/diff/802c2abe4387/src/rabbit_mgmt_db.erl

then this will fix *that* problem, but I'd really like to figure out how
the stats database is getting shared across clusters.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
Staff Engineer, RabbitMQ