[rabbitmq-discuss] Erlang crashes trying to allocate 583848200 bytes of memory

Mark Hudson markrogerhudson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 10:20:57 GMT 2011

Hi, I'm experiencing reproducible crashes of Erlang when running
RabbitMQ 2.20 on a clean install of 64 bit Windows server 2008 R2 box
- a parallels virtual machine with 1024 gig.

They seem to be very similar to the problems here :
http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/2010-December/010443.html

In particular I get
"broker running
Crash dump was written to: erl_crash.dump
eheap_alloc: Cannot allocate 583848200 bytes of memory (of type "old_heap").
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."
"Cannot allocate 583848200 bytes of memory (of type "old_heap")." is
the same message talked about in the previous discussion.

In my scenario, I load a durable queue with between 110k and 130k
messages -around 900 bytes each- with the consumer off. I then turn on
the consumer -to simulate the consumer being unable to contact the
broker, or consumer being down for a period etc. - the Akka consumer
then starts processing the messages with erl.exe consuming about 50
meg.

While the durable queue is being consumed, If I enter rabbitmqctl.bat
list_queues in a console, I find that rabbitmqctl.bat takes a while to
return there are no queues, then the erl.exe process grows to about
650 meg before erland crashes dumping out
 614,019,533 erl_crash.dump

With an empty durable queue, If I start the consumer, then start my
load test, the queue runs for hours, Akka consumes and erl.exe stays
around 50meg.

It was suggested switching to a Linux environment, this may be
possible later, but currently Our planned environment is Windows
Server 2008 R2.

There was also talk of an "experimental fix for this". Any idea if
this work, or when this will be part of the next release ?

Prior to this load testing, RabbitMQ worked faultlessly.

Thanks.