[rabbitmq-discuss] Custom storage backends for queues (MySQL)

Jerry Kuch jerryk at vmware.com
Sat Jan 15 17:14:19 GMT 2011

Hi Vyacheslav...

Exist support for custom storage backends (like MySQL) in RabbitMQ 2.2 or not?

Storage backends based on MySQL and Mnesia are currently under development.  There has also been some discussion of various NoSQL stores, although no firm plans have been made.  We should have something more to say in the near future.

If "yes": How can I store my queues in MySQL/PostreSQL/whatever?

If a plugin for your store of choice doesn't exist, then one writes a storage plugin, in Erlang, by implementing the rabbit_backing_queue behaviour, which effectively makes up the storage API, and talks to the storage system of your choice.

If "no": For python applications exist Celery, Kombu, which can solve this problem. But what you can recommend for Java applications?

I'm a bit confused and may be misunderstanding your intent.

As I understand it, Celery is a task-dispatching system that uses Rabbit for messaging internally, but as an option can do "messaging through a database" using the other options you mention.  That's a different problem from general purpose messaging.  I've not looked at Kombu, but as I understand it, it's an AMQP client library for Python.  Neither of these strictly has anything to do with changing the storage backend used behind your messaging broker.

Is a task queueing/scheduling system your primary goal here?

Best regards,
Jerry