[rabbitmq-discuss] HA between data centers

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Fri Jan 14 19:51:58 GMT 2011

Matthew, thanks very much for your comments.  I'll just add a brief top-post
note:

After posting the message below and reading your remarks my thinking is a
better design is to just not depend on messages never being "lost". (By lost
I was probably thinking once published that they would be consumed in a few
minutes of time regardless of a server failure.)

If we design with the knowledge that a message could be lost and thus be
prepared to publish again when necessary then our messaging system is much
more simple -- and probably less fragile and more reliable as a result.
 Might not work for all businesses, but likely for ours.

We have a database for recording state.  The messaging system is about
changing state in many cases.  So, for important tasks we should be able to
look at the state and say "this was suppose to be done an hour ago, so queue
it again."  A trickier part is determining if a job was actually lost or is
just still in the queue.

A much more important task is just making sure that clients can publish
messages when needed.

Oh, yes Celery has a lot of nice features that are probably commonly needed
by applications.  I've been testing it for the last week, and even know we
are not a Python shop I suspect we could still use it to fork off other jobs
very easily.

Thanks,

Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org