[rabbitmq-discuss] Losing messages, why?

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Mon Feb 28 17:25:39 GMT 2011

On 28/02/11 17:11, DOBRO Sergei wrote:
> I've noticed that the issue occurs chiefly when the worker's queue is
> in heavy load state.
>
> But when the workers stop receving messages, none of their queues
> have messages_ready or messages_unacknowledged. Here is the output
> I've saved when it happened last time.
> [...]

In the list_* output you sent, which consumers/queues are in the
"broken" state where their connected clients aren't receiving messages?

If all workers have the queues and bindings you expect, and their queues
are empty then I can think of just three ways in which messages might
get "lost":

1) The server sends the messages to the client but for some reason they
never make it to the client side application.

2) Some other consumer is consuming messages from the same queues.

3) The messages are never published in the first place.

Perhaps you could attach a network tap when the system is "broken" to
see what is getting sent to the clients?

Regards,

Matthias.