[rabbitmq-discuss] socket error while using rabbitmq and a NAT (Network address translation)

Emile Joubert emile at rabbitmq.com
Mon Feb 28 15:34:16 GMT 2011

Hi,

There is no reason why an AMQP connection won't work over NAT. This is
equally for version 1.7.0 and 2.3.1. It is likely that the cause for
this error is at the network layer.

Does the broker logfile contain any other relevant messages other than
the one about the abrupt disconnection?

Can you get "rabbitmqctl list_connections" on the broker to list the
connection from the client at any time?
Are you able to establish an AMQP channel and issue the basicConsume(),
or does the error occur earlier during connection establishment?

Do you have any way of checking the state of the connection on the NAT
device?

Establishing the AMQP connection via the AMQP Tracer (
http://www.rabbitmq.com/javadoc/com/rabbitmq/tools/Tracer.html ) might
also provide useful diagnostic information.

-Emile

On 27/02/11 13:06, mysurf mail wrote:
> Hi ,
> I am writing a new mail because my last issue was solved .
> It is just that on a certain computer my application stopped working.
> So it is a new issue and I will explain and paste the exception below.
>
> Basically, I did three things :
> 1. I upgraded from 1.7.0 to 2.3.1 (installed a new erlang also)
> 2. I upgraded the client jars
> 3. changed the protocol to ack = true;
>
> channel.basicConsume(queueName, true, queueingConsumer);
>
> well, that certain computer is behind a firewall, and has a NAT (Network
> Address Translation ).
> It did work prior to the upgrade with the NAT (mySQL also handles it
> pretty well).
> with the same ports.
> Maybe it is the bidirectional channel (since I added acking? I dont
> think so...).
>
> what I can see is that.
> when the client tries to connect it writes in the logs
>
> Connection closed abruptly
>
> And now, behold, the exception :

[...]