[rabbitmq-discuss] Message persistence format

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Mon Feb 14 19:53:18 GMT 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 11:42:50AM -0800, Jonathan Brisbin wrote:
> I'm trying to not do that. :)
> I'd like to deal with the message separately (maybe it's JSON?)

AMQP message bodies are entirely opaque. You should not hope to
interpret them at all within the broker. They are stored as a list of
binary fragments within basic_message. All fields within basic_message
must be completely restored faithfully.

The advantage of using term_to_binary and friends is that when we change
basic_message, which we are actually currently doing, nothing needs
changing (slight lie - we have to alter everything on disk, but that's
not so hard). If you make your msg_store equiv (not BQ) dependent on the
structure of the values in write/read/remove then you're only creating
more work for yourself.

Matthew