[rabbitmq-discuss] Are Exchanges really necessary?

Max Bridgewater max.bridgewater at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 02:45:12 GMT 2011

Hi,

It's very likely that I don't really understand the concept of
exchange. So please bear with me. Say I bind the queue with routing
key "WashingtonPost" to the topic exchange "politics" using pattern
"africa.egypt.#". Now if we get rid of the concept of exchange.
Wouldn't this be equivalent to binding the "WashingtonPost" to the
pattern "politics.africa.egypt.#"?

What am I missing that makes the exchange paradigm so necessary in AMQP?

Thanks,
Max.