[rabbitmq-discuss] Experimental Windows installer

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Feb 7 16:44:06 GMT 2011

Hi all. In an effort to make the installation process on Windows less
painful we've put together an installer. It's been tested on a few
Windows machines here but could do with some more testing.

Notes:

* You still need to install Erlang first. If Erlang is not installed the
installer will open a web browser for you to do it. You do not need to
set ERLANG_HOME or anything, just run the Erlang installer.

* The installer makes no effort to detect a previous manual installation
of RabbitMQ, so it may stomp on things. It's probably  wise to manually
remove a manual installation before trying it (or at least uninstall the
service). Of course it will detect installations it's created itself.

* By default the installer will set up RabbitMQ to run as a service, and
add some links to your start menu. You can switch both of those features
off.

* Obviously this isn't supported as yet, although if you run into
trouble we'll do our best to help you out.

* It doesn't install any plugins. To install plugins:

   - Open the plugins folder from the Start Menu.
   - Download and drop the plugins in the plugins folder
   - Stop the service
   - Reinstall the service
   - Start the service

* No, you do not need to reboot at any point :)

You can get it from here:

http://www.rabbitmq.com/releases/rabbitmq-server/v2.3.1-windows-installer/rabbitmq-server-2.3.1-preview.exe

I'm sure there will be bugs. Please report them here.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
Staff Engineer, RabbitMQ