[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq-server crashes hard while consuming 31GB of RAM

Muharem Hrnjadovic mh at foldr3.com
Wed Dec 21 11:26:23 GMT 2011

On 12/21/2011 12:06 PM, Matthias Radestock wrote:
> Muharem,
>
> On 21/12/11 10:19, Muharem Hrnjadovic wrote:
>> Just before getting into the stuck state I ran "rabbitmqctl report"
>> (please see https://bugs.launchpad.net/openquake/+bug/894024/comments/6)
>> and the RAM usage command ypou kindly supplied (please see
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/openquake/+bug/894024/comments/7).
>
> The latter report doesn't show all that much memory being used by the
> top 30 processes.
>
> Btw, as of 2.7.1 you should be able to produce that report with
>
> rabbitmqctl eval
> '[{Mem, Pid, process_info(Pid)} || {Mem, Pid} <- lists:sublist(lists:reverse(lists:sort([{process_info(Pid, memory), Pid} || Pid <- processes()])), 30)].'
>
> (this is tweaked slightly to be more efficient when there are lots of
> processes, which I suspect is the case in your rabbit)
Nice.

> Try doing that *while* it is wedged. And also send us the output of
> 'rabbitmqctl report'. Again, while rabbit is wedged.
Please see https://bugs.launchpad.net/openquake/+bug/894024/comments/8
and https://bugs.launchpad.net/openquake/+bug/894024/comments/9
respectively.

> My hunch is that you probably have many thousands of celery result
> queue processes.
Hmm .. I can see that the celery result queues (which are all
auto-delete queues) are deleted after the result has been consumed.
Why would the respective processes still hang around?

Best regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen

--
Muharem Hrnjadovic <mh at foldr3.com>
Public key id   : B2BBFCFC