[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ hangs, does not accept connections

Dmitri Minaev minaev at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 14:26:16 GMT 2011

Thank you for the reply. Yes, TCP connection could be established, but
not AMQP. We generally use PHP library, but I also tested RabbitMQ
using Python amqplib. In both cases, the client side cannot get the
connection.

Besides the common information messages (starting/closing TCP
connection), there's only one type of messages in the log files:

=WARNING REPORT==== 13-Dec-2011::16:56:51 ===
exception on TCP connection <0.14474.173> from x.x.x.x:xxx
connection_closed_abruptly

But then, again, these messages may be found even during normal
operation, this is why I don't think they're relevant.

On 13 December 2011 14:42, Simon MacMullen <simon at rabbitmq.com> wrote:
> Hmm. I can't really say anything from your description - can you post the
> logs somewhere? It's possible that your definition of "nothing unusual in
> the logs" differs from mine.
>
> And when you say that "the server refused attempts to connect", what exactly
> do you mean. You say that a TCP connection *could* be established - so does
> your client hang during AMQP handshaking? Disconnect? Something else?
>
> Cheers, Simon
>

> On 12/12/11 16:24, Dmitri Minaev wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> We use RabbitMQ for about a year now. From time to time I upgraded it
>> and switched from one server to another. About a month ago the last
>> such transition took place. I installed new RabbitMQ (2.7) on a new
>> server and our web application was reconfigured. Quite soon we faced
>> new problems. After some days of stable work clients could not connect
>> to RabbitMQ. I could list run rabbitmqctl, list queues, kill
>> connections, but the server refused attempts to connect. That is, TCP
>> socket was available and telnet could connect to port 5672, but the
>> AMQP connection could not be established. There was nothing unusual in
>> the logs. vm_memory_high_watermark is set to 0.7 and there's still
>> plenty of free memory.
>>
>> After a couple of such failures I tried to downgrade to 2.6.1, but the
>> problem remained. The last time I disabled IPv6, but today we hit the
>> same trouble again.
>>
>> I think I must have done something wrong when setting up the
>> environment, but what could that be?
>>
>> OS: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.
>> 16GB RAM.
>> RabbitMQ 2.6.1
>> Erlang R13B03 (erts-5.7.4) (package erlang-nox from Ubuntu repository)
>> Client: php-amqplib
>>

> --
> Simon MacMullen
> RabbitMQ, VMware