[rabbitmq-discuss] auto-delete exchange kills connections on consumer close?

Keith Irwin keith at zentrope.com
Tue Dec 6 06:00:41 GMT 2011

Folks--

I'm using RabbitMQ (2.7.0 all around + java with Clojure) to send small
little status messages around here and there. It works great for that.
Because I don't care if these messages get dropped if, say, RabbitMQ goes
down, or if some client messes up here or there, I want to keep everything
temporary. When all the clients are stopped, I'm thinking, RabbitMQ should
be back to its default state.

So, when I use exchangeDeclare, I set auto-delete for the exchange to true.
Here are my expectations:

 - When there are no more clients consuming or publishing to that
particular exchange, it'll disappear.

What ACTUALLY happens is that when the first user of that exchange is
closed (by calling close on a channel), the exchange is deleted, and all
other users of that exchange get disconnected.

Is this a bug?

Should you always set autoDelete to false if there is ever going to be more
than one client using an exchange? And isn't there always going to be
another client using that exchange given there's no point in using an MQ
system otherwise?

Please, set me straight! ;)

Keith