[rabbitmq-discuss] Message timeouts

Tony Garnock-Jones tonygarnockjones+rabbitmq at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 15:12:15 GMT 2011

This is where the "mandatory" feature comes in.

1. Declare your queue as durable.
2. Send your RPC requests with "mandatory" flag.

Then:

   - if rabbitmq is down, the RPC client won't be able to connect. Clear.
   - if rabbitmq is up, but the RPC server is down, and noone has created
   the queue yet, then the request will be Basic.Return'd to you. Also clear.
   - if rabbitmq is up, but the RPC server is down, and the queue was
   previously created by somebody, then the request will be enqueued. As long
   as the RPC server returns to service in a timely way, everyone's happy.
   - if rabbitmq is up, and the RPC server is up, normal service ensues.

Regards,
  Tony