[rabbitmq-discuss] Message timeouts

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Fri Dec 2 12:20:16 GMT 2011

If on the other hand Alex is interested in learning about messages that
have been deleted once they've made it to queues then there's currently
no way to find out about that.

We are currently looking at implementing dead lettering, which might
help with this.

Cheers, Simon

On 02/12/11 12:12, Valentin BERNARD wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If your clients publish messages with the mandatory flag set, they
> will get a Basic.Return from the server if the message can't be routed
> to a queue. Does that solve your problem?
>
> Java example: http://www.rabbitmq.com/api-guide.html#returning
>
> Cheers,
>
> Valentin.
>
> On 2 déc, 12:33, Alex Grönholm<alex.gronh... at nextday.fi>  wrote:
>> I've developed an RPC system using RabbitMQ (with different semantics than
>> the built-in RPC). I'd like to get the server to send the client some kind
>> of a notification if a message it has sent will never be delivered (like if
>> the queue which it was routed to was deleted before the message was
>> consumed from it). Is there any way to accomplish this? Client side
>> timeouts are not good enough either because the request might get processed
>> at some point then anyway.

Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware