[rabbitmq-discuss] [announcement] amqp gem 0.8.0.rc15 is released, very likely to be the last RC before 0.8.0 final

Michael Klishin michael.s.klishin at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 19:07:07 BST 2011

amqp gem 0.8.0.RC15 is released to rubygems.org. All 0.8.0.RCs users are
highly encouraged to upgrade
because this is likely to be the last RC before 0.8.0.

== Backwards compatibility with RC14

0.8.0.RC15 is fully backwards compatible with RC14.

== Bug fixes

RC15 includes one bug fix:

* TCP connection is now properly upgraded to TLS (if needed) when clients
reconnects to the broker after network failures.

== Other features & API usability improvements

One improvement:

* AMQP::Session#on_skipped_heartbeats event handler can be defined to handle
situations when client detects skipped
  broker heartbeats. Please note that only applications that need really
timely reaction to network
  failures will ever use this. For other cases,
AMQP::Session#on_tcp_connection_failure event handler is good enough.

== Documentation improvements

As usual, we keep improving my favorite amqp gem feature: documentation (
http://bit.ly/amqp-gem-docs).

* Vendor-specific extensions guide now covers per-queue TTL, Publisher
Confirmations and Alternate Exchanges.
* Bindings guide now explains how message routing is done and takes a closer
look at cases when messages may be returned back to the publisher.
* Numerous small improvements to all other guides & code examples.
* AMQP 0.9.1 Model Explained guide license now covers images & stylesheets.

== The Road to 0.8.0

RC15 is (hopefully) the last RC before 0.8.0. If no major issues are
reported, 0.8.0 will be released in one week, on
September 4th, 2011.

Note that Ruby 1.8.7-p249 (this particular patch level) compatibility
refactoring turns out to be a significant
undertaking and I decided it is not worth the effort. We would rather spend
our time improving documentation and adding new features
than refactoring half of the library to work around one bug in one
particular Ruby 1.8.7 release.

So, try this RC out and have a good end of the week.
--
MK

http://github.com/michaelklishin
http://twitter.com/michaelklishin