[rabbitmq-discuss] Load Balanced Consumers?

James Carr james.r.carr at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 19:02:17 BST 2011

Hi All,

In all the material I've read on clustering and load balancing the
setup I always see is publishers publishing through a load balancer
while consumers consume all the nodes on the cluster.

Is it possible to place the consumers behind a load balancer? I'm just
asking, we plan on trying it on Monday with our cluster at work. The
setup we're thinking of is one balancer for publishers, two for
consumers (which consumers will consume on both) and divide the
cluster into segments that the consumer balancers forward to.

Is this an ideal solution? The only problem comes when the nodes that
both connect to go down at the same time but I am putting money on
that not happening. We'll see. :)

Thanks,
James