[rabbitmq-discuss] Issues starting RabbitMQ 2.5.1 on Ubuntu 10.04

Marek Majkowski majek04 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 17:38:12 BST 2011

On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 09:36, TreforT <trefor at tetrabyte.com> wrote:
> I can not find any folder called "pam" but I have found "/etc/pam.d" but
> limits.conf inside it.
>
> I did find "/etc/security/limits.conf" which looks as though everything is
> 'hashed' out.

Good.

> I am running Ubuntu on a 1and1 Virtual Server (which has given me trouble
> trying to change the name of the machine, which has eventually been done via
> a script when i first start the machine up).
>
> How would i test to see if rabbitmq was using the same version on Erlang?

well, you may just run 'erl' and see what it says.

> when I run "ulimit -a" i get:
>
> core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
> data seg size           (kbytes, -d) unlimited
> scheduling priority             (-e) 20
> file size               (blocks, -f) unlimited
> pending signals                 (-i) 16382
> max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 64
> max memory size         (kbytes, -m) unlimited
> open files                      (-n) 1024
> pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
> POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) 819200
> real-time priority              (-r) 0
> stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
> cpu time               (seconds, -t) unlimited
> max user processes              (-u) unlimited
> virtual memory          (kbytes, -v) unlimited
> file locks                      (-x) unlimited

Looks normal.

> I have got a 'vanilla' install of Ubuntu in the office (which I plan on
> clustering with the one im having issue with) and have no problems with
> RabbitMQ on that machine.

Good. That means your particular 1und1 instance is somewhat different.
I'm not able to help much more. It may be something with erlang
(maybe a broken compliation?), it may be something with limits.

I'm afraid you have to figure out the anomaly yourself, in theory it
could be just anything. It doesn't look like a rabbit problem, more
likely an operating system or erlang issue.

Cheers,
  Marek