[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ RPM and its dependencies

David Wragg david at rabbitmq.com
Thu Aug 4 15:20:59 BST 2011

Massimo Paladin <Massimo.Paladin at cern.ch> writes:
> RabbitMQ RPM requires erlang which is provided by a lot of
> sub-packages.

The Fedora/EPEL erlang RPM only got separated up into many packages
relatively recently (about a year ago, I think).  So depending on the
sub-packages would limit which releases of distributions our RPM will
work on.
So, in order to support a wide range of distributions, our RPM still
depends simply on "erlang".

I expect we will reconsider this one day, but it is probably still too
early today.

(Unlike RPM, dpkg supports disjunctions of dependencies, so our Debian
packages don't present this dilemma.)

--
David Wragg
Staff Engineer, RabbitMQ