[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ RPM and its dependencies

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Aug 4 12:34:42 BST 2011

On 04/08/11 12:30, Matthias Radestock wrote:
> On 04/08/11 12:18, Massimo Paladin wrote:
>> RabbitMQ RPM requires erlang which is provided by a lot of sub-packages.
>>
>> I wonder if rabbit really needs all those sub-packages,
>> did someone already spend some time shrinking down the required erlang
>> sub-packages?
>
> We used to depend on just the packages the broker needs. However,
> plug-ins may use more packages than the broker.

We used to do that for Debian, not RPMs. I think RPMs having
sub-packages at all is fairly recent.

Unfortunately to my untutored eye it still doesn't look like there's any
equivalent of Debian's erlang-nox metapackage, so we drag in all sorts
of X11 deps we don't need.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen