[rabbitmq-discuss] Introducing "AMQP 0.9.1 Model Explained"

Michael Klishin michael.s.klishin at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 10:26:10 BST 2011

I have a little announcement to make.

As I have been using RabbitMQ for over 2 years now, I kept explaining AMQP
Model concepts, featurse & why they exist to numerous people. After a while
it became clear that there is simply
no decent introduction to the protocol. There are

* Shallow blog posts
* http://www.rabbitmq.com/faq.html#what-is-amqp which does not really focus
on explaining what AMQP has to offer (and, lets be honest, is written for
CIOs/CTOs and not developers).
* Full specification document

None of these options is really good in my opinion. The spec is pretty good
at explaining what features AMQP has and why it has them but reading 40 page
long specifications is not what most people want to do
to learn the fundamentals. I also have no way to edit rabbitmq.com content.

So I decided to go ahead and write a 2 page long introduction that focumes
on

* Concepts
* Features
* Why those features exist (what problems do they solve)
* Explaining what all those basic.get and queue.declare-ok really mean.

As a result we now have a new "AMQP 0.9.1 Model Explained" in the amqp gem
documentation guides:

http://bit.ly/amqp-model-explained

I ran it by a few dozens of people with AMQP knowledge ranging from 0 (some
of them are not really software engineers) to one of the RabbitMQ team
members (Emile Joubert) and the feed back so far is
"this is so much better than shallow blog posts, FAQs and 40 page long
specifications". I intentionally left out some details that are irrelevant
for understanding high-level protocol concepts.

This work is licensed it under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported
License <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/> that lets RabbitMQ
team take any parts of this guide, edit it and put it to
rabbitmq.com(please concult with VMware legal department first but
this is what Creative
Commons site's "Choose a license" feature suggested me). The source is in
Textile and up on github:

https://github.com/ruby-amqp/amqp/blob/master/docs/AMQP091ModelExplained.textile

I hope this helps with lowering the learning curve. I will keep refining
that document and adding more diagrams when I have some more time.

Have a good day.
--
MK

http://github.com/michaelklishin