[rabbitmq-discuss] Producer consumer performance test

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Thu Apr 21 20:39:10 BST 2011

Shalin,

Shalin Shekhar Mangar wrote:
> The consumption rate holds throughout the test but it still seems low
> to me. I'd think that for such a small message payload, a single box
> should be able to do much more than these.

Try running the MulticastMain example that ships with the Java client,
using the "-a -r <rate>" option and set the rate to 20000. That should
be stable, i.e. production and consumption rates should match. Depending
on your machine, you can probably go a bit higher than that.

> Is there something else that I should do to get better performance
> out of a single box?

For a single producer, queue, consumer scenario the amount of
parallelism is limited, so rabbit won't be utilising all the cores. If
you have multiple independent streams, and/or fanout the figures will be
higher.

Regards,

Matthias.