[rabbitmq-discuss] Delay delivering messages

Michael Burns michaelburns1 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 16:26:57 BST 2010

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Vlad Alexandru Ionescu
<vlad at rabbitmq.com>wrote:

> Michael,
>

> So I understand that it is the consumer's connection that was hanging in
> there.
>
> I tried to reproduce your problem yesterday (killing off both consumer and
> producer apps), with no success.
> What version of Java are you using?

We're using Java 1.6.0_15. Our consumers are running on OS X 10.6.2

> By not having been shutdown cleanly... could it be possible, in your case,
> that the client has been disconnected from the network abruptly, in some
> way?

Dont think so - the main cause of the app not shutting cleanly is a
deployment script we have for our dev environments which kills our JVM if it
doesnt shutdown within a specified time period (because we are running in a
web container with multiple web apps sometimes it can take a couple of
seconds to successfully shutdown). Also it may be worth mentioning that our
consumer is on a different network to the RabbitMQ broker - the broker is
running at amazon on an EC2 instance, while the consumer runs on our
internal network.

> The only situation I can think of when you can have stray connections (and
> would not be a bug) would be the case when the socket has been broken in
> some way without doing a TCP FIN. If the app is killed, the underlying OS
> takes care of closing all its FDs, including all sockets that were held by
> the app - so that shouldn't cause stray connections. But, for example, if
> the client machine is physically disconnected from the network, the broker
> has no way of knowing that and expects the client to continue consuming (but
> it doesn't). Until the TCP socket times out (could take 15 mins), the
> message would remain blocked in the queue, as it is reserved for the
> disconnected client (which didn't receive the message entirely and/or didn't
> get to ack).

Yes this make sense - if I see it happening again I'll try and wait to see
if the connection eventually times out.

Thanks
Michael