[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ with Erlang R14B

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Wed Sep 15 14:09:08 BST 2010

Hi,

Erlang R14B has just been released, and you can download it from
http://www.erlang.org/download.html

A couple of things are relevant for Rabbit:

1. If compiling Rabbit, you'll get some warnings like:
src/rabbit_plugin_activator.erl:75: Warning: ambiguous call of
overridden auto-imported BIF error/2
 - use erlang:error/2 or "-compile({no_auto_import,[error/2]})." to
   resolve name clash

They are only warnings, and they can be safely ignored - we have tested
and confirmed that it's doing the right thing, despite the warning.

2. Lots and lots and lots of fixes have happened in the SSL module.
Preliminary testing seems to show SSL now really does work. The R14B
release notes (http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_R14B.readme) even
mention that memory leaks in the crypto infrastructure have been fixed
(I know someone reported memory leaks with SSL recently here).

Hopefully the distros will quickly update their Erlang packages to R14B
so that people are not relying on a BETA release of Erlang that has bugs
in it. The fact that the now frozen Debian Squeeze has R14A in it is a
little worrying...

Matthew