[rabbitmq-discuss] new fork of php-amqplib on github

Alvaro Videla videlalvaro at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 07:28:47 BST 2010

Hi guys,

At TheNetCircle we have released our fork of the php-amplib library: http://github.com/tnc/php-amqplib

Sorry for adding more divergence to the status of PHP libraries for accessing RabbitMQ, but here are our reasons:

- We started using RabbitMQ more than one year ago, at that time the choices where this library or using STOMP. The STOMP library for PHP had problems accessing RabbitMQ because it was written with ActiveMQ in mind. So we choose this AMQP library: http://code.google.com/p/php-amqplib/

- The AMQP lib had several problems, the main one being that it wasn't compliant with PHP 5.2 STRICT, and when we moved our servers to PHP 5.3 we found even more problems. All those were fixed.

- The way the library used the error_log to "echo" was quite buggy, mostly to use the lib with fastcgi and Nginx. So that's also changed. There's a constant also that if defined will enable "echoing" those logs to standard output. The constant is AMQP_DEBUG. Also we did some performance optimizations in that area.

- We fixed some bugs related to how to set connections time out.

- For different reasons we never sent back our fixes to the original repo.

- You may ask why we are not using the http://cn.php.net/amqp library? The answer is simple it wasn't there when we started using RabbitMQ. Also the one that we use handle our workload with no problems. To change to the C Extension will mean changing a lot of code.

Regards,

Alvaro