[rabbitmq-discuss] Multiple consumers and queue subscription

Alexis Richardson alexis at rabbitmq.com
Mon Sep 13 21:25:23 BST 2010

Tom

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 4:12 PM, Tom Williams
<tom.williams at crispthinking.com> wrote:
> Hi chaps,
>
> I’m pretty new to RabbitMQ, but I have an application which had multiple
> subscribers to the same queue in several different processes, when I push a
> message onto that queue should it be received by only 1 of the subscribers?

Yes.

A queue is either associated with one consumer or shared between many
consumers.  But the routing and delivery semantics are the same in
both cases, i.e. RabbitMQ tries to send the message to just one
consumer.

> All the subscribers are the same, they’re just on separate processes (on
> separate machines) for the sake of load balancing, so any subscriber can
> pick up any message. Is the subscriber model the right thing to be using
> here?

Yes.

In contrast, you would use *exchanges* to broadcast ("pubsub") to
multiple queues.

alexis