[rabbitmq-discuss] Erlang client now works on default and has some (important) API changes

Vlad Alexandru Ionescu vlad at rabbitmq.com
Mon Sep 13 14:30:52 BST 2010

The Erlang client was broken on default recently. We have now fixed it
and it works with the latest version of the broker on default.
We recommend people that were using branches bug22993 or bug23024 to use
the version on default instead (if you were using the latest broker
version and not 2.0.0).

Please note that there have been some API changes as well:

-
amqp_connection:{start_network,start_direct,start_network_link,start_direct_link}/{0,1}
functions have been replaced by amqp_connection:start/{1,2}. Example usages:

     amqp_connection:start(network).
     amqp_connection:start(direct).
     amqp_connection:start(network, #amqp_params{heartbeat = 20}).

- amqp_connection:start/{0,1} functions do not return ConnectionPid.
They return {ok, ConnectionPid} or {error, Error} instead:

     {ok, ConnectionPid} = amqp_connection:start(network).

- amqp_connection:open_channel/1 does not return ChannelPid. It returns
{ok, ChannelPid} or {error, Error} instead:

     {ok, ChannelPid} = amqp_connection:open_channel(ConnectionPid).

The edoc is to be updated soon.
We hope that this will be the final version of the API, but cannot
guarantee this until the Erlang client will become officially supported.

Cheers,
Vlad.