[rabbitmq-discuss] Am I using Queues Correctly?

Tom Martin tom at devart.org
Mon Sep 6 19:06:45 BST 2010

Thanks for your recommendations, I'll take a look at the topic exchange but
if what I've proposed sounds ok then I'll leave it as that.

When I receive a message from a queue does that remove it from the queue or
just mark is as read? Do messages get automatically stored to disk or do I
need to explicitly turn that on?

Thanks again.

On 6 September 2010 14:41, Vlad Alexandru Ionescu <vlad at rabbitmq.com> wrote:

> Apart from the mentioned 'direct' and 'topic' exchange types, there is also
> the 'headers' exchange (match on a number of attributes that you specify).
>
> Rgds,
> Vlad.
>

> On 09/06/2010 02:38 PM, Alexandru Scvorţov wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> There's nothing inherently wrong with what you describe.
>>
>> Depending on what you filter on, you could make it simpler.  If you
>> filter on a message name/id or something like that, you could probably
>> just bind the filtered queue to a direct exchange (match on the routing
>> key) or a topic exchange (match on something like a regexp).
>>
>> If you're filtering rules are more complicated or if they involve
>> inspecting the message content, what you're doing is probably the way
>> to go.  You could also write a custom exchange type as a plugin.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alex
>>
>> On Mon, Sep 06, 2010 at 02:03:44PM +0100, Tom Martin wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm building a system which takes incoming messages, filters them and
>>> stores
>>> them to DB. I have each of these three bits running as separate ruby
>>> processes, if the filter or database saving processes die then when they
>>> come back, new messages are waiting in the queue.
>>>
>>> I've implemented this using two separate queues: an incoming queue and
>>> a filtered queue. The filtering process just takes the incoming queue,
>>> does
>>> it's business and inserts it into the filtered queue. The DB storing
>>> process
>>> takes the filtered queue and stores them to DB.
>>>
>>> I'm very new to RabbitMQ, is this kind of flow correct, creating two
>>> different queues? or is there a better way to do it using Exchanges or
>>> some
>>> other part of RabbitMQ?

Tom Martin
devart.org