[rabbitmq-discuss] problem on starting rabbitmq-server

David Wragg david at rabbitmq.com
Fri Sep 3 07:53:01 BST 2010

Hi,

Nowgoo <nowgoo at gmail.com> writes:
> I've installed a rabbitmq (follow the instructions at
> http://www.rabbitmq.com/install.html#install-rpm), but when I try to run
> /etc/init.d/rabbitmq-server, the screen display "Starting rabbitmq-server:"
> and stopped there, never display "SUCCESS" or anything else. at this time I
> press ctrl+c, it just failed and quit.
>
> btw, when it shows "Starting rabbitmq-server:", I noticed:
> 1. these lines were appened to /var/log/rabbitmq/startup_log:
> -- message delivery logic ready
> starting error log relay
> ...done
> starting networking
> ...done
> -- network listeners available
>
> broker running
> seems the service is started?

Thanks for the details.

One possible cause fopr your problem is that the hostname for your
machine returned by "hostname -s" does not actually resolve to a valid
IP address for your machine.  Could this be the case for you?

If it is, then you can fix it by creating a file
/etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.conf containing the line:

NODENAME=rabbit at localhost

You can replace localhost with any other valid short hostname for your
machine, i.e. one not containing dots.

David

--
David Wragg