[rabbitmq-discuss] Open-Ok no longer populating known_hosts

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Wed Sep 1 11:26:59 BST 2010

Sigurd,

On 01/09/10 11:21, Michael Bridgen wrote:
>> A follow-on thought: could you add a key with the server hostname to
>> the server_properties dict sent back from the server on
>> connection.start? That would solve our diagnostics needs (and maybe
>> Aaron's too) without breaking your conformance to the spec.
>
> The server properties is more or less a free-form map, so yes, it's
> certainly possible a hostname (or more likely, a node name including the
> hostname) could go there.
>
> There may be concerns around leaking infrastructural information that
> way, but probably not strong ones.

I am reluctant to add ad-hoc properties without a sound technical
rationale. And yes the information leakage *is* a concern.

Can you explain what you are trying to do?

connection.redirect and the known_hosts field got removed because they
a) duplicate what load balancers do much better, and b) don't work in
many network setups since they rely on the clients to be able to resolve
servers by their internal names.

Regards,

Matthias.