[rabbitmq-discuss] Fwd: RabbitMQ and queue message limits?

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Wed Sep 1 04:22:48 BST 2010

Matthew Sackman wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 06:54:01PM -0400, Jim Irrer wrote:
>> Our group has wanted this sort of functionality also.  The problem we want
>> to solve
>> is pretty much the same:  If a queue comes to contain more than X entries,
>> then it
>> means that there is a problem with the consumer(s), and we would like to be
>> notified.
>
> That smells to me slightly like using the wrong tool for the job - is
> there not some other monitoring mechanism that would be more appropriate
> for detecting such issues

Indeed. Queue sizes can be monitored in several ways already - via AMQP
using passive queue.declare, and via 'rabbitmqctl list_queues'. And I am
pretty sure some of the tools built on top of these, such as Alice and
Hyperic's rabbit management plug-in also provide this functionality; in
the latter case including the ability to set thresholds and issue alerts.

Regards,

Matthias.