[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ running on VMWare

John DeTreville jdetreville at vmware.com
Wed Oct 20 04:45:48 BST 2010

Tim,

We're talking about a peak load of about 1 msg/second, right? This is about a millionth of what RabbitMQ can handle on physical hardware, and I'd doubt that the overhead of any virtualization platform would be that great. I'd expect that everything should work just fine.

That said, things don't always work out exactly as they should, and I know we'd be very interested to learn about performance problems (and non-problems) running RabbitMQ under virtualization. If there are practical gotchas, we should fix them or at least document them.

Disclaimer: I just joined the RabbitMQ team from elsewhere in VMware. I have no personal experience running RabbitMQ under ESXi. I spell "virtualization" the American way.

Cheers,
John