[rabbitmq-discuss] Queue replication (I know, I know)

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Oct 18 15:39:35 BST 2010

On 15/10/10 15:08, Derek Chen-Becker wrote:
> Basically, yes. Ideally, the broker would duplicate every file write
> operation to a second location. It would be really nice if we could do
> this with Mnesia, too, so that essentially we're getting a real-time
> copy of state on a backup machine. If the primary machine went down I
> would do the work of starting a new broker on the backup machine using
> the redundant files. The only concern I have with this scenario is that
> it sounds like RabbitMQ uses the node name to identify itself, so I
> wasn't sure if that was configurable or if I could uses the hosts file
> to fake it.

I don't think there's really a reason for having RabbitMQ duplicate file
writes - the Windows software RAID or hardware RAID or a SAN can do
that. Real active-active is of course another story.

You can change the node name by setting the environment variable
RABBITMQ_NODENAME to something like rabbit at myhostname. Note that
myhostname must be resolvable by DNS or the hosts file.

> Like I said, if we weren't constrained to run on Windows I would just be
> doing DRBD and this would all be fine, but the decision on OS was made a
> long, long time ago and it's infeasible to change it now :(

Sorry to hear that :(

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen