[rabbitmq-discuss] Management Plugin v2.1.0 Problems

Bryan Murphy bmurphy1976 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 14:50:04 BST 2010

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Chris Chew <chrisch at ecollege.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have a plain vanilla RabbitMQ 2.1.0 install on Ubuntu 10.04, installed
> using dpkg -i.
>
> I downloaded the rabbitmq-management plugin and pre-requisites as linked
> from the plugins page (http://www.rabbitmq.com/plugins.html) into
> /usr/lib/rabbitmq/lib/rabbitmq_server-2.1.0/plugins.
>
> Restarting Rabbit starts the plugin on port 55672.  But when I browse to
> it and log in as an admin user (guest, after `rabbitmqctl set_admin
> guest`...) I get the following error:
>
> The server encountered an error while processing this request:
> {error,{exit,{json_encode,{bad_term,{bound_to,[<<"0.0.0.0:5672">>]}}},
>             [{mochijson2,json_encode,2},
>              {mochijson2,'-json_encode_array/2-fun-0-',3},
>              {lists,foldl,3},
>              {mochijson2,json_encode_array,2},
>              {rabbit_mgmt_util,reply,3},
>              {webmachine_resource,resource_call,3},
>              {webmachine_resource,do,3},
>              {webmachine_decision_core,resource_call,1}]}}
>

> Digging into it, it appears the problematic api call is:
>
> curl -iv -u guest:guest http://localhost:55672/api/overview
>

> Have I misconfigured something, or would this be a bug in the plugin?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Chris Chew

I did the same thing just yesterday and received a similar error.  For me,
at least, it went away after giving the server a few extra minutes to warm
up so I didn't think anything of it.

Also, I had another issue where I installed the plugin on a server that was
actively being used.  When I restarted the rabbitmq server, none of my
queues had any count information.  I had to shut down the server, delete the
mnesia folder, and restart it before I started to get counts.

There's clearly some variability in behavior based on the contents of the
mnesia folder.  I don't know if that is contributing to your issue, but it's
worth investigating.

Bryan