[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmqctl script complaints

Aaron Westendorf aaron at agoragames.com
Thu Nov 18 16:23:23 GMT 2010

It's been awhile since I tried to run the debian package release
builds of rabbitmq.  In setting up my new workstation, I opted for
this route rather than source to see how I fared.

It was smooth except for this bit in /usr/sbin/rabbitmqctl:

if [ `id -u` = 0 ] ; then
    su rabbitmq -s /bin/sh -c "/usr/lib/rabbitmq/bin/${SCRIPT} ${CMDLINE}"
elif [ `id -u` = `id -u rabbitmq` ] ; then
    /usr/lib/rabbitmq/bin/${SCRIPT} "$@"
else
    /usr/lib/rabbitmq/bin/${SCRIPT}
    echo
    echo "Only root or rabbitmq should run ${SCRIPT}"
    echo
    exit 1
fi

This is rather unfortunate because as I noted in my blog post,
http://blog.agoragames.com/2010/07/28/grabbing-the-rabbit-by-the-horns/,
it is possible through /etc/rabbitmq/rabbitmq.conf to avoid the
sudo-is-required caveat.  This is beneficial in both development and
production environments, where non-sudo access is routine for
application developers.

Any chance this can be fixed in the next release?

cheers,
Aaron

--
Aaron Westendorf