[rabbitmq-discuss] JMS client impl (javax.jms)

Jon Brisbin jon.brisbin at npcinternational.com
Wed Nov 17 14:13:34 GMT 2010

On Nov 17, 2010, at 6:37 AM, David Siefert wrote:

> I'm trying to evaluate RabbitMQ w/ Java, and the first thing I notice is that the AMQP 1.7.2 client I am using does not implement any JMS interfaces.  Is there support for JMS? and where would I get this driver?

I see tonyg mentioned last year success with the OpenAMQ AMQP JMS client:

http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/2009-March/003167.html

But I think most people who use RabbitMQ prefer not to be bound by the JMS API and make more full use of AMQP. Spring Integration has some tools to make working between the two environments easier:

http://www.springsource.org/spring-integration

For my own 2 cents: if you want JMS, use a JMS broker like ActiveMQ or something. If you're using RabbitMQ, you're doing it because AMQP has things that JMS doesn't that make the latter better than the former. If you have to stick with JMS because there's a line in the sand somewhere you can't cross, I'd almost say just stick with the brokers that more JMS-centric.

I love RabbitMQ for everything and I use the Java client. I've found JMS too simplistic and I've now moved to using the spring-amqp abstraction on top of the plain Java client:

http://www.springsource.org/spring-amqp

If you're starting from scratch, then you owe it to yourself to try this route first. You'll be more successful in the end. I know this from experience. ;)

Jon Brisbin
Portal Webmaster
NPC International, Inc.