[rabbitmq-discuss] |Spam| |Spam| broker going down, how to troubleshoot?

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Fri Nov 5 19:51:45 GMT 2010

Shane,

Shane Witbeck wrote:
> I installed rabbit via the generic unix tar because we don't have access
> to the normal OS package manager (one of the joys of being in a strict
> corporate env).

ok. Did you have to set any env vars / modify the startup scripts in any
way? And are you running rabbit as root, a dedicated 'rabbitmq' user, or
yourself?

> I got "rabbitmq-server start -detached" from the documentation
> (http://www.rabbitmq.com/install.html#running-generic-unix)

There is no "start" in there. Shouldn't cause any harm though.

Is there an erl_crash.dump in the directory from which you started rabbit?

> I haven't found anything noteworthy in the system logs yet.

I see your rabbit is running the management plugin. Have you been
keeping an eye on it through that? And did anything odd crop up - high
memory or fd use, for example - just before the death?

It is quite rare for rabbit to die, and very unusual indeed for it to do
so without a trace. For that to happen the most likely cause of death is
that something/body is killing it.

Regards,

Matthias.