[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ failover and message loss

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Sat May 22 11:17:26 BST 2010

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 10:37:18AM +0530, Radha Krishnan D wrote:
> > Ok, that's not a usual setup. If you actually have the two rabbit
> nodes
> > clustered together then you should have no need for the load balancer
> -
> > all clients can connect to either node and still reach every resource
> in
> > the broker.
>
> We want to do graceful failover from one rabbitmq broker to another
> rabbitmq broker. So only we used HA proxy.

Yes, but you're using clustering. Clustering exists for *scalability*,
not HA. If you want HA then use the pacemaker guide I linked to. There,
yes, using a proxy on the front is one way to present the service at a
common end point, but there are other solutions to the same problem.

> The queue is lost when the node is crashed. So all the messages in the
> queue at that point are lost. Will those messages be returned to the
> producer by using channel.setReturnListener ? I mean, will that listener
> be called.

No, the messages are lost. They will not be returned.

Matthew