[rabbitmq-discuss] Consumer stop to receive messages but continue listening queue problem.

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Wed May 19 19:20:43 BST 2010

Gustavo,

Gustavo Aquino wrote:
> Yes, basic consumer have other best way ? If I drop consumer queue
> continue to grow my friend, withour any consumers or publisher queue
> size continue to grow for 20 minutes after stop in this scenario.
> [...]
> Rabbitmqctl just show message_ready size, other parameters like
> messages_unacknowledge and etc all the time are 0.

I see. So when you disconnect both the producers and consumers, the
messages_ready counts keeps growing for ~20 minutes?

You mentioned that the *queue* is "transient". Do you mean non-durable?

And what about the messages? Are you publishing them in persistent mode
(delivery_mode = 2)? If so, try transient mode (delivery_mode = 1).

Also, to help us analyse the problem it would be good if you connected
the producers and consumers via the tracer
(http://www.rabbitmq.com/examples.html#tracer). There will be a lot of
output, but the most interesting parts are the initial moments when the
producers and consumers are connecting. Please post that somewhere we
can see it.

> It´s happened with consumers and without consumer... I don´t think that
> it as network problem.

Agreed. It looks more like buffering inside rabbit. But there really
shouldn't be much of that at a rate as low as your quoted 3kHz. So
something isn't right somewhere.

Regards,

Matthias.