[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ AMQP 0-9-1 spec branch

David MacIver david at drmaciver.com
Tue May 18 12:43:21 BST 2010

On 15 May 2010 17:55, Matthew Sackman <matthew at lshift.net> wrote:
> 0-9-1 is really a clarification of 0-8 and in nearly all cases where 0-8
> is more ambiguous than 0-9-1, we implement the semantics of 0-9-1.
> Therefore, the impact to client libraries to move to 0-9-1 should not be
> a huge amount of work - obviously all our client libraries will be 0-9-1
> ready, and it sounds like the Ruby client is as well (David - please do
> *not* drop support for 0-9-1!). There's also an arguement for saying

If I'm the David being referred to here, I should clarify why I ripped
out the 0-9-1 support in my fork of bunny. In particular it's very
much not because I think it's a bad medium to long term goal.

The issue from my point of view was that multiprotocol support was
complicating the client implementation significantly (perhaps this
doesn't inherently have to be the case, but I thought it was here),
and that I felt that maintaining a separate branch with the 0.9.1
support was a better way to go. Given that there was currently no
production ready version of 0-9-1 I didn't think it was worth the
effort to set up that branch now, but as it gets closer to release
time for it I'll do everything I can to make sure that there is a
0-9-1 capable version of Bunny with my changes in place.

It should be noted that there's also a great deal of expediency issues
to be considered in my bunny fork. A lot of the changes are very much
aaaahhhhineedthistoworkrightnow stuff we're discovering as we start to
rely on bunny and rabbitmq more heavily, so they don't always reflect
the long term best behaviour.