[rabbitmq-discuss] High-number of unack-ed messages

Matthew Sackman matthew at lshift.net
Mon May 17 19:56:48 BST 2010

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 08:36:41PM +0200, Andreas Jung wrote:
> Since I am not very happy with Alice+Wonderland I would like bring
> the discussion back the point: what is the easiest way for getting hold
> of the queue names, the number of messages in each queue and the number
> of unacknowledged messages? rabbitctl seems to expose only queue names
> and the number of messages but not the number of unack-ed messages.

Please read the manual. rabbitmqctl:
    list_queues [-p <vhostpath>] [<queueinfoitem> ...]

<queueinfoitem> must be a member of the list [name, durable,
auto_delete,  arguments, pid, owner_pid, exclusive_consumer_pid,
exclusive_consumer_tag, messages_ready, messages_unacknowledged,
messages, consumers, memory].

messages_unacknowledged is what you're after. You probably want in
total:

rabbitmqctl list_queues name messages_ready messages_unacknowledged

as "messages" on its own is messages_ready + messages_unacknowledged.

Matthew