[rabbitmq-discuss] getting a list of exchanges with Java client api

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Fri May 14 23:52:55 BST 2010

Hi Jim,

I'm afraid there isn't. The AMQP spec doesn't provide any method for listing
exchanges, queues, or bindings, and while RabbitMQ provides rabbitmqctl, we
haven't (yet) exposed it over the normal AMQP wire protocol.

One important reason is security: if attached clients can get a directory of
server resources, the use of server-generated (or otherwise cryptographically
unguessable) queue names as capabilities is compromised. So in our thinking
about exposing such management-y features over the wire, we've mainly been
concerned with appropriate ways of restricting the features to authorised
connections only.

Regards,
  Tony