[rabbitmq-discuss] High-number of unack-ed messages

Matthew Sackman matthew at lshift.net
Thu May 13 14:40:24 BST 2010

Hi Andreas,

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 12:02:04PM +0200, Andreas Jung wrote:
> I inserted some 500k messages with one produce into the queue.
> Then I attached one consumer to the queue feeding the messages into
> Solr. The consumer is implemented as callback using the Carrot bindings
> for Python. Every message is directly acknowledged. However "Alice"
> always shows me between 300 and 500 unacknowledged messages. Shouldn't
> that number be 0 or 1?

Well. It should be low, but if there's no QoS being set by Alice then it
can get quite high. I would only trust it to be 0 or 1 if Alice was also
setting a QoS prefetch of 1, and even then, there are cases where the
unack count can be higher than that.

After Alice had drained all 500k messages, was the unack count still
high, or had it dropped to 0 by then?

Matthew