[rabbitmq-discuss] Bound Queues

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Wed May 12 23:34:44 BST 2010

srw wrote:
> As a RabbitMQ newbie I was thinking on this issue too: is it possible to
> block publisher's send while the queue is above a certain threshold?

Hmm. Well there's a builtin feature that if memory usage gets above a threshold
for the server *as a whole*, a "channel.flow" notification (like XOFF) gets
sent out to connected clients until the backlog clears. It's enabled by
default, though, so maybe something's wrong. Which client library are you
using? Some of them don't pay attention to channel.flow, in violation of the
spec, which can lead to overflowing the server.

Tony