[rabbitmq-discuss] Bound Queues

srw sebastian.wain at nektra.com
Wed May 12 17:47:29 BST 2010

Tony Garnock-Jones-2 wrote:

> Dan Di Spaltro wrote:
>> Is there anyway you can specify a memory/disk/length limit to a queue
>> size with the action being a similar to a fixed window?
>
> Not at the moment, no.
>
>> If not, is there any chance it is on the roadmap?  I know its not in
>> the amqp spec, but it could be treated like a header.
>
> It's not exactly on the roadmap

As a RabbitMQ newbie I was thinking on this issue too: is it possible to
block publisher's send while the queue is above a certain threshold?

I am experiencing many RabbitMQ crashes because the queue size surpass the
machine memory. This is happening in many scenarios where the ratio between
#published_messages/#consumed_messages is very high (and the message size is
big). Don't know if it's very uncommon. My use case is a long text mining
pipeline where there is a lot of input data and some processes cause a
bottleneck (but with the solution exposed above the bottleneck will just
slow the publishers and every process will finish).

Thanks,
srw