[rabbitmq-discuss] Really bizarre startup issue...

Robert Nickel rnickel at scea.com
Mon May 10 17:11:15 BST 2010

On 2010.05.06 22:48:08 +0100, Matthias Radestock wrote:
> Robert,
>
> Robert Nickel wrote:
>> rabbitmq-server is not getting invoked according to the output in
>> /var/log/rabbitmq/startup*.
>>
>> I added an echo and set -x to the script and got nothing.
>
> The logging could possibly go astray; I suggest you add something like a
> 'touch /tmp/foo' right at the beginning to serve as a "got here" marker.
>
> The {node_start_failed,normal} error you are seeing in the logs
> indicates that the rabbit_multi erlang code is attempting to invoke the
> rabbitmq-server script but that either somehow fails or at least doesn't
> result in a running rabbit server. It's very unusual for that to happen
> and not result in some errors in the startup logs. I cannot think of an
> easy way of tracking down the cause w/o hacking on the rabbitmq_multi
> erlang code.

Closing the loop on this issue.

I have, unfortunately, run out of time that I can spend chasing this issue.
The startup using rabbitmq-multi is still unresolved. I have resorted to
altering the init script to call rabbitmq-server and use rabbitmqctl to stop
and gather status information.

If you see this come up again, please let me know.

Thanks for all your help.

--Robert