[rabbitmq-discuss] request for help!

Colin Clark colin at cloudeventprocessing.com
Mon May 10 15:32:34 BST 2010

In regards to the once-and-only-once discussion below:

In many financial formats, like FIX and others, we utilize message ID's
that help with this behavior a lot.  It also prevents from messages
being delivered out of sequence.  For example.

Client logs in - server and client at message ID of 0,
every message that the server sends has an incremented ID,
if the client receives an unexpected ID, it can either request a
retransmit from the last known or kill the session,
when a client logs back in, the client logs in with the expected ID,
server & client negotiate and session resumes.
(there are id's for both the client & server messages, both incremented
for each message and the above behavior applies on both sides of the
connection)

FIX employs an optimistic delivery protocol, i.e., assume that it was
received.  There is no session level ack.  Only an ack at the
application level; and that ack is not mandatory.  Use of the message ID
provides the once & only once and in order semantics required for
trading; a behavior that is obviously very useful elsewhere as well.

Using sequence #'s also allows for advanced concepts such as flow
control - I haven't read enough of the spec yet to see if that's a
feature yet or not.

I do agree, if a message is sent, then an ack is waited for, sending an
ack of ack seems a little over kill to me.  Perhaps it's time for me to
read the whole spec again.