[rabbitmq-discuss] Future of AMQP

Alexis Richardson alexis.richardson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 06:30:14 BST 2010

Jeremy,

What can I say?  I think this has been a long time coming.  I don't
want to speak for Pieter, Martin and the zeroMQ folks, so I shall
remain silent on the recent commentary and stick to AMQP.  I do
however want to take this opportunity to thank Pieter and Martin for
their work on AMQP, especially their work with us creating the 0-9-1
spec which is short and sweet compared with many other messaging
specs.

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 5:46 PM, Jeremy Dunck <jdunck at gmail.com> wrote:
> I saw this thread over on OpenAMQ-dev, and was wondering if anyone
> here would like to comment on the future of AMQP as a spec and as a
> working body?

Ironically the working group is in better shape than ever with a real
focus on 'getting things done' for AMQP 1-0.  I don't want to go into
behind the scenes details but if you look at the various amqp.org web
sites you will see the outwards signs of broad progress.  In the past
there have bumps and delays largely due to how work has been
resourced, but also due to occasional over-reach.  That's one reason
we have stuck to making the best product with what we have in front of
us.

As for the future of AMQP as a spec, we are committed to our current
roadmap in which we'll support AMQP 0-9-1 but not 0-10.  The AMQP 1-0
design still needs work but will be a big improvement over 0-10.
Forgive me if I remain cagey about our actual roadmap and timelines
for 1-0.  We and others are working hard - and together.  I'm much
more excited than I have been for quite a bit.

We have a lot of plans to keep helping the community and to make AMQP
- and especially RabbitMQ - more useful and 'simpler'.  Some of those
have been in motion for some time if you know where to look.

> http://lists.openamq.org/pipermail/openamq-dev/2010-March/thread.html#1598
>
> I also note that the AMQP mailing list has been quiet since 2009:
> http://lists.amqp.org/pipermail/amqp-dev/

Yes, nobody uses that list.  They come here to complain instead, or
bitch on twitter.  We applaud such activity.  We love getting feedback
no matter how critical so long as it helps RabbitMQ customers and the
community have a better experience.

> (I'm quite happy with Rabbit, but this discord between iMatix and AMQP
> came as a surprise to me.)

Sadly, not to me.

We get on well with iMatix who are good guys - so there is no discord
there, nor is there discord between us and the AMQP WG.  Make of this
what you will.

Cheers

alexis